Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer spring shackle bushings
For those w/ spring ride trailers, a maintenance tip/suggestion. The bushings where the spring sits inside the shackle are more than likely plastic. If you tow a lot or heavy, might be a good idea to pop the bolt out and check condition of bushings. Cannot say for sure if avail for sled trailers, but for RV's, a wet bolt kit can be installed that has greaseable bolts and brass bushings. If left neglected, the plastic bushing will wear out and things will get elongated and make for a not so pleasant repair bill or possible accident. If anything, replace w/new plastic ones.

I replaced the plastic ones on our RV a few years ago w/ the wet bolt kit. Upon removing old ones, many were on verge of being totally worn out/thru. Were not that old. Granted an RV is much heavier than a sled trailer, but the workings are the exact same.
Snowmobile America. Founded by snowmobilers for snowmobilers.
i bought my open sled bed trailer new in 2001 and after a couple years the 2 pivot bolts for the bed seized up. they put a steel bolt through an aluminum bushing, and everything corroded together. i have tried pounding the bolts out, air hammer, and they still won't budge. when i bought a new blizzard trailer in 2010, it had the same set up. i took the bolts out when new, drilled a hole through the center, and 1 in the side and put a grease zerk in the end. i grease these fitttings a couple times a year as with my wheel bearings. If someone buys a new trailer this would be a good idea if it has the same set up.