Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking to get my first ATV
With sledding season winding down, I need to find something else to do with my spare time.

Thinking about getting my first ATV. I would have to trailer it to Tug and elsewhere to ride.

Anybody have any thoughts about this one? Seems a little pricey for a 13 year old machine but it looks like that's a typical listing price.

Craigs list
Seems a little pricey. Also as far as atvs go, you'd want to make the decision between a utility Wheeler (like that one) or a speedier version such as a raptor or banshee. If you have no other use for it, then a utility one may not be what ya want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
(02-28-2013, 01:50 PM)irish_redneck Wrote: Seems a little pricey. Also as far as atvs go, you'd want to make the decision between a utility Wheeler (like that one) or a speedier version such as a raptor or banshee. If you have no other use for it, then a utility one may not be what ya want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Never having ridden one, it's hard for me to know which fits my needs better. I was thinking that the 4 wheel drive would be something that I wanted. The sporty ones seem to be 2wd.
Can't go wrong with a Honda , but with that being said,I'd go with a stock one and do your own mods,

I have both styles a Honda rincon and a kTm525 ,

My rincon plows my driveway and goes whereever I want,however it's not the fastest out there it was in 03 lol

My kTm is my speed machine, it's an all out race quad though,I grew up riding them so I had new 250r trikes and then quads when they came out,

I raced all the rodeos when they were popular and won most of them, and I even raced the rincon in a quad terrain race at thorn wood mx park I won all 3 races but it was all rider, there's no way my Honda will beat the new can ams I was against, something about launching a 600# atv off a huge jump scared them lol

For that kind of money you could get a nice 2 wd, and a mudded out 4wd,

The Hondas you will always pay more but they are made to last, I'd be real careful buying, some of these guys really beat the hell out of them.

Just you tube some snirt videos and you will see for yourself,

As far as what you want 2vs4, tough call on that one I have both giggity,

The renegade by can am is probably the best of both worlds, not sold on the build quality though, they are cool but if they don't hold up screw that,

I'd stay in the Japanese brands myself they invented them everyone else just copied,

Besides belts are for sleds and holding pants up lol Hondas have a car like tranny,

But hurry up and you can ride snirt with us
if you're gonna ride trails you'll rarely use the 4wd aspect.

I've got a suzuki 4x4 , but I use mine to haul logs outta the woods etc.
i'm a polaris guy, but have to say honda has the reliability and longevity down. i've worked on a few honda wheelers that people have dragged out of farmers weeds or headrows, clean the carbs and they fire right up.
i would also try to find stock, and maybe one an older gentleman owned to go hunting with, if possible.
running wheelers through mud pits is just like sandblasting steel, once the grit and water gets into the bearing seals it grinds the races and balls of the bearings right up.
(02-28-2013, 06:51 PM)irish_redneck Wrote: if you're gonna ride trails you'll rarely use the 4wd aspect.

If you dont need 4x4 on the trails, where would you use it? Plowing and working with it?

Where are the best (public) places to ride? I see that there's a dedicated trail somewhere on the hill. Anybody part of that club?

I guess I will need to register and insure this thing so I'll need to buy one that has a title and/or is already registered?
Yea then is good and when you know your gonna be stuck is a good time too,

I can take my kTm anywhere my rincon will go, the only thing is I can't stop, lmao

But I can go places on my 2 wd I'd never take a 4 wd,

I will go up pretty steep hills but on my 4wd it better be less than 15',

Like I said the money you want to spend will buy you a real nice 2 wd or a used 4x4, if your gonna buy make sure it's nice IMO,

2wd I'd look at 700 raptors with fuel injection,you want stock motor but tires rims and nerfs are a plus, no fuel controller though it means the played with it and could of leaned it out,

I just seen a Kawi 700 on c/l it's an auto, probably make a good first quad

Honda 700xx it's in real good shape too,

When you look at them check bearings damaged a arms,look up and under for mud they can't clean it good if they don't take it apart,

Start posting up pics of ones that interest you, we can tell you what's good or bad,

Snirt is 4/9/13 lol
I like the Polaris Sportsman. We have a full stable of 8 my family from the 400 up to the 800 and from 2000-2011. They have all been good to us. I like the comfort, independant suspension and 4wheel drive when you need it. I would not buy one without. I am now leaning towards a RZR since my CEO doesnt want to drive anymore and just wants to sit and look around. I also you mine to plow snow, drag my deer in and put corn out in the winter with it. Don't think you will go wrong with a work horse for all you needs. Hope this helps.
Your never lost if ya got a full tank of gas!
Sportsman Honda has new 420 cheap just so you know