Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a new trailer!
I'm looking for a new enclosed trailer this year. Would love a 3 place but think I might go with a 14' or 16' v- nose. I was also thinking of getting a HD trailer so I could use it for other things. I really like my triton and the tie down system. Who has what, and what do you and don't you like about it? I already have a clam shell so want drive on drive off.
Not Bad For A Girl!

(02-19-2014, 01:01 PM)Diesels n Doos. Wrote: "I know you are, but what am I?"

16' v-nose should do 3 , I'm looking at a 22" vnose for 4
You can go a bunch of ways on a trailer. To begin, most everything now days is alum frame for weight reduction. Same w/siding. How tall do you want it? The taller the more wind/drag you'll encounter which reduces mpg's on truck. Finished off inside? Interior lights? Storage compartments. Tie downs. the list goes on. I have a '05 V-nose Haulmark w/steel frame. At the time, steel was much cheaper way to go than Alum. Should I do it again, I'll go alum frame. Very happy with trailer. Only downfall which others may encounter too is frozen doors every so often. Go w/ rubber/torsion ride axle. Grease zerks on end of axles. They require plenty of room to keep someplace.

Now all this being said, you'll want a stout steed in front to pull any 4 pl V-nose as you'll have close to 1 ton in sled weight and 3,000-5,000 trailer weight. May not sound like a lot in total, however, it's ALL dead weight behind you and you'll work the truck going up hills. Plus, you'll need to have some type of brake controller in cab for trailer brakes. Today's 1/2 tons should be more than capable to towing 8,000-10,000 pounds. Just make sure you have the right gearing and at least a V-8 motor (guess Ford's ECO boost is doing well). Just remember that with that long of a trailer behind you, it acts like a HUGE parachute/sail and IT WILL let you know it's there. Weight distribution is key also. Want to keep truck/trailer level as possible at hitch point.

There are many mfr's of sled trailers w/ the closet being Blizzard in Boonville. Prices will vary greatly as well
Snowmobile America. Founded by snowmobilers for snowmobilers.
22' 4 place aluminum with luan interior, only weighs about 2200#

Blizzard is about 2k cheaper than triton for comparable features
i bought a blizzard clamshell brand new in the summer and they gave me a hell of a deal because the cap was a left over, even though they put it on a new trailer. i think the trailer was well made and have not had any issues with it.

one thing you want to look for in an aluminum trailer is that they put a piece of rubber between the steel axle and aluminum frame.
If you put the steel direct to the aluminum, the dissimilar metals work against each other and corrode and weaken the aluminum.
i have seen trailers like this that have weekend and the aluminum rails cracked in half.
Will never own a blizzard even if some one gave it to me. The lady up there was a bitch to me several years ago. Tried to pick up a left over three place and had them put ramps on the front. She wrote the price for everything on my book and I waited a week and got the call to pick it up. I had the cash in hand and went to pick it up and they said the trailer was $700 more than what they quoted me. I took my money off the counter and left after a major argument with her. I never do anything now with out a written receipt with prices and serial numbers now. I love my Triton trailer clam shell. Really want to stick with triton, there tie down system works awesome with no hassles. Was looking at a inline three place but that puts the trailer at 7'x18'. I only own two sleds but usually have someone tagging along and have to put it in the truck. Then I was thinking if the trailer was going to be that long mine as well get a car hauler in the HD aluminum triton series. My dealer is trying to help me out now, and found I can get into a inline off brand 3 place aluminum for under $6k after tax and tags almost $3k cheaper than he can get me a 4 place 8' wide trailer. Not sure what way I'm going yet. IMHO triton is the standard to hold all the other trailers too.
Not Bad For A Girl!

(02-19-2014, 01:01 PM)Diesels n Doos. Wrote: "I know you are, but what am I?"

talk to Shawn Patane at Preferred Power sports in Brewerton, tell him I (John MacKenzie , he might not know nickname) sent you and mention Snowmobile America. (315) 699-2592 , he's a great guy to deal with.
(02-28-2013, 08:37 AM)KBPLAZA Wrote: Will never own a blizzard even if some one gave it to me. The lady up there was a bitch to me several years ago. Tried to pick up a left over three place and had them put ramps on the front. She wrote the price for everything on my book and I waited a week and got the call to pick it up. I had the cash in hand and went to pick it up and they said the trailer was $700 more than what they quoted me. I took my money off the counter and left after a major argument with her. I never do anything now with out a written receipt with prices and serial numbers now. I love my Triton trailer clam shell. Really want to stick with triton, there tie down system works awesome with no hassles. Was looking at a inline three place but that puts the trailer at 7'x18'. I only own two sleds but usually have someone tagging along and have to put it in the truck. Then I was thinking if the trailer was going to be that long mine as well get a car hauler in the HD aluminum triton series. My dealer is trying to help me out now, and found I can get into a inline off brand 3 place aluminum for under $6k after tax and tags almost $3k cheaper than he can get me a 4 place 8' wide trailer. Not sure what way I'm going yet. IMHO triton is the standard to hold all the other trailers too.
i have heard good, and bad stories about michele at blizzard. i had a pleasant experiance as i went up to old forge to look and put down payment down. michele said go walk around town for an hour and she called boonville to have cap installed on trailer and she drove to boonville and brought it back to me in old forge. once i was done with paperwork, i went ouside to find her helper already had it hooked to my truck and ready to go.
i guess everybody has good and bad days.
Did the OP find a new enclosed trailer?