Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring a 12V outlet
I had a 12v skidoo plug left over from a previous project and decided to install it last night on my 2011 MXZ 550F.

I wired it directly to the battery. Positive terminal on the plug to positive terminal on the battery. Negative terminal on the plug to negative terminal on the battery. It works, but I am not sure that I should have gone to teh negative terminal on the battery. Something tells me that I should have gone to a ground screw instead. Anybody have any advice?
my heated shield wire had ring connectors, red to positive, black to negative on battery. I'd like to wire in an in-line fuse at some point , so in the event of a short it won't just smoke the wires.
(01-21-2013, 09:15 AM)irish_redneck Wrote: my heated shield wire had ring connectors, red to positive, black to negative on battery. I'd like to wire in an in-line fuse at some point , so in the event of a short it won't just smoke the wires.

ok. If the heated shield can go with both leads to the battery, I assume that that the 12v plug can too. I did splice in a 5 amp fuse and actually blew one when I let the two leads touch each other.

Mine was sort of a cob job. I had the factory plug left over from when I wired my GPS, but I lost the retaining nut on the back of the plug assembly (fell behind my oil reservoir somewhere). Need that retaining nut to mount it in it's proper spot, so I improvised and zip tied the plug to the battery bracket. Looks like it'll work ok. Dont expect to use it often.
might be able to fish it out with magnet on a stick or string ?