Snowmobile America Forum

Full Version: Help with '89 artic cat cougar 500
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Facebook : Alright, need some technical advice. I have a 89 arctic cat cougar 500. Was running great. Now I'm having problems. I noticed the idle was bogging one minute and racing high the next ( to the point of the sled moving by itself). I press the throttle and it seems like it wants to die. If I stay on the throttle, it will run good. As soon as I let off it wants to die one minute and the next it races high. I popped the hood and noticed the cap ( with cable coming out of it) on the right hand carb was loose and spinning by itself. I was told by that happening, my idle is all out of whack. I tightened it down and tried to adjust it and I think I made it worse. Had it running yesterday but it now won't stay running. Anybody have any tips or should I just bring it in to the shop. I don't want to spend too much. I didn't pay much for the sled. Ugghhh
Sounds like it may need a good carb cleaning and check the carb boots to the motor for cracks or rips.
a good carb cleaning wouldn't hurt, but you said it was running great. start by syncing the carbs. the correct way is with a gauge you hold over the throat of the carb while it is running, then adjust accordingly. you could get it somewhat close by the following.
remove airbox
with engine off, stick one finger in each carb from the same hand, and touch the slides. with the other hand, slowly press the throttle. you want both slides to start to move at the same time as each other. to adjust this, you would tighten or loosen the cable where it goes into the top of the carb.
once they are adjusted, hold throttle wide open, and make sure each slide is pulled all of the way up into the carb by feeling inside. the slide should be even, or higher than the bore of the carb.
to set your idle without a gauge, you will need some kind if measuring tool to hold into the throat of the carb. maybe a toothpick, or golf tee shortened.
with the engine off. hold the toothpick into the throat against the bottom, then mark the toothpick at the bottom of the slide. check the other carb. you are looking to get the same measurement.
you will need to start sled and adjust each a little until rpm is correct, then shut of and check. this could take a bunch of times starting, shutting off, checking measurement,and repeating.

to sum it up you are looking for:
same space between slide openings when closed.
both slides to start to open at the same time.
both slides to fully open at full throttle.

of course the original explanation sounded like it was sucking air, could be through the loose carb cap. this could also be caused by leaking intake boots, or crank seal.
hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.
Great adviceSmile
Think they should just bring the thing to MMS.
(01-21-2014, 06:47 PM)mikesmotorsports Wrote: [ -> ]a good carb cleaning wouldn't hurt, but you said it was running great. start by syncing the carbs. the correct way is with a gauge you hold over the throat of the carb while it is running, then adjust accordingly. you could get it somewhat close by the following.
remove airbox
with engine off, stick one finger in each carb from the same hand, and touch the slides. with the other hand, slowly press the throttle. you want both slides to start to move at the same time as each other. to adjust this, you would tighten or loosen the cable where it goes into the top of the carb.
once they are adjusted, hold throttle wide open, and make sure each slide is pulled all of the way up into the carb by feeling inside. the slide should be even, or higher than the bore of the carb.
to set your idle without a gauge, you will need some kind if measuring tool to hold into the throat of the carb. maybe a toothpick, or golf tee shortened.
with the engine off. hold the toothpick into the throat against the bottom, then mark the toothpick at the bottom of the slide. check the other carb. you are looking to get the same measurement.
you will need to start sled and adjust each a little until rpm is correct, then shut of and check. this could take a bunch of times starting, shutting off, checking measurement,and repeating.

to sum it up you are looking for:
same space between slide openings when closed.
both slides to start to open at the same time.
both slides to fully open at full throttle.

of course the original explanation sounded like it was sucking air, could be through the loose carb cap. this could also be caused by leaking intake boots, or crank seal.
hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

That was how I was taught before the sync gauge came about. Good explanation Mike